地址:Confucius Institute at Valparaiso University, 756 Finch CT,
一、建院历史背景与宗旨 History, background and Vision
The Confucius Institute at the Valparaiso Universitysigned the agreement on July 23, 2007 and was formally launched on February 14, 2008. The Confucius Institute at the Valparaiso University(CIVU) upholds the philosophy of harmony and harmony by the Confucianists. With the support of Valparaiso University teachers and students, the University fully utilizes the advantages and resources of the university in music and actively develops music exchanges with China.
二、孔院的发展规模 Development scale
The Confucius Institute at Valparaiso University was a remarkable one for the past 10 years. There have been the Confucius Classrooms in 4 schools,CC at Thea Bowman Leadership Academy, CC at Culver Academies, CC at Wirt-Emerson Visual & Performing Arts Academy, CC at New Prairie United SchoolCorporationElementarySchool, Middle School & High School.
And 14 Chinese Teaching Point Schools (non-Confucius Classrooms): Washington Township Middle School, Washington Township High School, Bishop Noll Institute, Plymouth Lincoln Junior High School, Plymouth High School, John Glenn Junior High School, Benjamin Banneker Elementary School, Frankie Woods McCullough Academy for Girls, Marquette Elementary School, Glen Park Academy for Excellence in Learning, Valparaiso High School, Ben Franklin Middle, Tomas Jefferson, Valparaiso Central Elementary School, Valparaiso Park View Elementary School, Morton High School. In 2016 - 2017, there were seven new Chinese language teaching sites. The number of registered students was nearly 2,500, and almost 7,500 students were taught.
Confucius Institute at Valparaiso University offers graded Chinese interest classes every semester, including children's Chinese, adult primary, adult intermediate, business Chinese, HSK test tutoring, summer Chinese and adult intensive classes. Two college credit courses are offered: Undergraduate students will be able to improve their spoken Chinese after class and postgraduate preparatory courses will be taught online. Besides, we offer three-week annual oral training session for students who plan to go to Hangzhou.
In terms of music and culture, Confucius Institute at Valparaiso University has established Guzheng classes, Hulusi classes, and national dance classes. It also offers the Great Lakes District Music Festival Chinese National Musical Instrument Experience Course (1 time peryear) and the tea culture experience (3 times throughout the year)Experience, folk music experience (string music) and so on.
音乐交流和文化传播形成特色与品牌 Music Communication and Cultural Communication Form Features and Brands
1. The annual “Great Lake Confucius Institute Music Festival” has been held for 10years. The “Music Festival” starts with education and focuses on students. It opens a window for Chinese music in the central North America, encourages students to experience Chinese national musical instruments, enhances their interests in Chinese musicand fosters a broad audience base for Chinese and American music. It established a platform for communication and integration. The Music Festival has become a brand project that Confucius Institute enjoys high popularity and prestige in Chicago and Northwest Indiana.
2. Continuing the Confucius Institute Day Sino-U.S. joint performance program. Every year, we cooperated with the Valparaiso University Music Department and the Valparaiso City Community Orchestra to hold the Confucius Day, as well as the brass band and the Chinese national band, in the end of September or early October. The cumulative audience exceeded 14,000. In 2017, the Confucius Institute Day event was held at Millennium Park in Chicago. More than 600 people from 9 bands performed Chinese folk songs. The entire “Friendship Forever” Chinese-American Music Festival attracted nearly 11,000 audiences. Hong Lei, Chinese Consul General in Chicago, and Heckler, President of Valparaiso University, attended the event. CCTV and Xinhua News Agency have reported successively.
3. Founded the first “Beauty Chinese Folk Orchestra” composed of American players in Valparaiso University and successfully participated in important occasions such as National Chinese Language Conference, Nishan World Cultural Forum, National Day Reception of Chicago Consulate General. The performance highlights the achievements and contributions of the Confucius Institute in promoting Sino-US cultural exchanges and music integration.
4.The Chinese National Instrumental Music Class was opened at the Wirt-Emerson Art High School in Gary City. Teachers all from Confucius Institute. This is the first time that Chinese art education has entered the public school system in the United States, which is of important and groundbreaking significance. At present, the Wirt-Emerson Confucius Classroom has established the only one erhu class in the United States, consisting of more than 50 participants. In early 2017, Ms. Ritz, General Superintendent of Indiana, highly praised the university's Chinese art curriculum.
5.We also organized Chinese and American musicians to adapted more than 60 Chinese traditional and popular music pieces into tube and string pieces suitable for performance by the American Student Orchestra, allowing Chinese music to enter band classes at schools in the United States to help more American students get to know and understandChinese culture. These Chinese folk music scores have now entered our school teaching points TBLA High School, Culver Academy, New Prairie High School, Wirt-Emerson Art High School and other surrounding schools such as Valparaiso High School, Benjamin Franklin Middle School, Griffith High School, Portage High School and more than a dozen School music course teaching system.
6.Successfully organized American students and American professional actor prepared rehearsals ofthe musical West Chamber, which was sung in Chinese, toured six times in the Greater Chicago area and northwestern Indiana. The audience was over 10,000 people. The regional influence was very large. It won the local American community and many media praise.
7.Our institute and the Confucius Institute in Chicago organized the Chinese Ballad Concert to explore new ways to use music to promote Chinese language teaching, accumulated valuable experience. Each year, as the Chicago Confucius Day co-organizer, it promotes traditional Chinese folk music at the venue of the Confucius Institute in Chicago and conducts experience of learning Chinese musical instruments. Every year, more than 300 people participate in the Chicago musical instrument experience.
8. Confucius Institute at the Valparaiso University and the Confucius Institute at the MichiganUniversity organized the “International Conference on Confucius Music and Culture in the United States”, attracted high-end talents, including Chinese and American scholars, teachers, and performers, to join the musical exchanges between the two countries. The performance was upgraded all-ground communication, including all aspects of performance, teaching and academic theory.
9. On the basis of successful American musicians' participation in Sino-US musical exchanges over the years, in 2015 we successfully organized more than 100 American musicians to participate in the The Chicago Area Marks the 70th Anniversary of the World Anti-Fascist and Chinese Anti-Japanese War Tribute to the Yellow River Chorus Concert jointly organized with the Chicago Overseas Chinese Community. We not only organized the Valparaiso Downtown Community Symphony Orchestra with a total of nearly a hundred performers, but also successfully completed the arduous task of accompanying the concert. We also organized a choir composed of more than 30 American professional and amateur singers. Old songs from Europe and the United States were sangin Chinese and our singers won the audience with warm applause. “Playing my bandits” and the theme song “Schindler’s List” played by the two Chinese nationals of the “Beauty Chinese Folk Orchestra”. The theme and significance of the concert have been expanded and enhanced so that it can receive the attention and recognition of mainstream American society.
以汉语竞赛吸引学生，增强各学校积极性Engage students in Chinese language contests and enhance their enthusiasm
We also held 10 consecutive annual Great Lakes Chinese High School Students Speaking Contests. Each year we attract more than 100 high school and junior-high school students from neighboring schools to participate in the competition. The 8th Great Lakes District High School Student Chinese Speaking Contest began to increase the Chinese Talent Show in 2016. The 10th Great Lakes District High School Student Chinese Speaking Contest participated in the school across 16 high schools in Illinois and Indiana. The annual high school students' speech and talent competition in Chinese language greatly stimulated the enthusiasm of the Confucius Institute's teaching sites and the opening of Chinese schools in neighboring regions such as Illinois and Indiana. The enthusiasm of students to learn Chinese and Chinese talents is unprecedentedly high.
开设与创新多样化课程，满足不同人群的需求Open and innovative diversified courses to meet the needs of different groups
Since CIVU founded, we have continuously broken through innovation in accordance with own characteristics, universities and local needs, and has successively established a variety of language, culture and art courses that can adapt well to different needs of people. Currently, the curriculum of the Confucius Institute covers all ages. The section includes a total of 17 different courses in Chinese, music, arts, culture, and sports.
四、孔院至今为止取得的成绩 Confucius Institute's achievements so far
On July 23, 2007, Dr. Harrell was the president of Valparaiso University, he signed the Confucius Institute's start-up agreement with Xiao Ruifeng, the vice president of Zhejiang University of Technology.
In December 2016, In the Confucius Institute Conference 2016,Confucius Institute at Valparaiso University won the Confucius Institute of the year.
In December 2017, Prof. JianyunMeng, the American Director of the CIVU, obtained the outstanding director of the year.
Confucius institute day
Music Festival of Great Lakes
Midwest Chinese Bridge High School Students Speech Contest